I eagerly ordered my watch on April 10th and hoped it would arrive on April 24th and to my delight it did come on Friday April 24th at 1:40 in the afternoon. By 2:15 I had it unboxed, paired to my phone and begun the task of configuring my watch.
Setup was pretty easy and after asking it to mirror my iPhone for preferences I just had to wait for apps to install and the watch to be completely ready but I could wear it in the mean time. I thought the look didn't matter but after slipping the stainless steel watch with milanese loop on my wrist I realized the look does matter.
For the most part my watch goes largely unnoticed looking like a normal but somewhat large watch. When it gets attention is when I do something that a watch doesn't do and even a Android watch still lacks. Paying for purchases at the store with Apple Pay, or answering my phone when my phone isn't in easy reach just to name a couple of examples.
So far I use my watch as a quick way to:
- triage my notifications
- answer my phone
- check a recent voicemail
- pay at stores with Apple Pay
- find a local Starbucks and pay for my coffee
- request an Uber car
- scan my boarding pass at the air port
- check into my hotel from the car so everything is ready when I arrive
- check the weather
- monitor my activity levels
- keep tabs on the weather
- turn lights off and on in my home with Hue
- as a remote for keynote or powerpoint
- quick email triage
- monitor my workouts
- use Siri to set reminders and appointments
- check what is next on my calendar